Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Final Game: Jets-Bengals



Wonder who scheduled this?  When I first heard that the Jets were playing the last game at Giants Stadium, I was shocked.  Now, it turns out to be a brilliant decision.  While the Giants played a meaningless last homegame in which they lost by 30 points, the Jets one meant something.  Win, and your in.  Lose, and its over.  Jets playing for a shot to head to Cincinnati to play the Bengals.  While the big game didn't live up to its billing - the Jets won 37-0 - the excitement of the stadium made the trip worth it.

I arrived via the Port Authority in New York City and, once stepping out to the Meadowlands three hours before kickoff, instantly felt the cold of a windchill making the temperature 0 degrees.  This didn't stop the tailgating, however.  With the cold weather I was shocked to see all the busses, RV's and cars lined up with fire pits a blazing.  All over Jets fans were screaming "J-E-T-S Jets,Jets,Jets!" and Bengals fans trying to respond with "WhoDey? WhoDey? WhoDey Think Gona Beat Dem Bengals?"  It was a battle of teams chanting against eachother, drinking and eating to keep warm, and nostalgia filling the air hearing about the memories at Giants Stadium.  Halftime was filled with old Jets like Vinny Testaverde and Wayne Chrebet making appearances.

While I found tickets on Craigslist for 75 in the upper deck, I wasnt there for long.  After the 1st quarter, my friend who was in the second section at the 50 yard-line informed me that he had two extra seats near him and I ended up sitting at the 50 yard line in amazing seats.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, and a Jets blowout, I left the stadium with an enjoyable experience.  I walked and hopped on the bus back to Port Authority.  From there I walked over to Penn Station and hopped on a midnight bus back to Boston.  Though tired the next day at work from a long day of travel (especially after a whole New Years Weekend in New York) I appreciate my chance to be at the Meadowlands, to see history and add another memory to those that I currently have.

No comments:

Post a Comment